ROME, January 9 (RIA Novosti) – The bodies of five Russian tourists who died last week in a tragic accident in the Italian Alps were sent back to Russia on Wednesday, Russian Consul General in Italy Alexei Paramonov said.
“A plane carrying the bodies of tourists from Krasnodar left Milan at 6:00 p.m. Moscow time [14:00 GMT],” Paramonov said.
Four women and two men from Russia died at Cermis in the Trentino province on January 4 when their rented snowmobile and sled tipped over and fell into a deep ravine. Two survivors of the accident, including the driver of the vehicle, remain in a hospital in Trentino.
Italian authorities on Wednesday charged the driver, Azat Agafarov, with involuntary manslaughter as a result of reckless driving.
Paramonov said Agafarov, whose wife, the manager of a local hotel, died in the accident, was put under arrest and moved to a guarded ward in the hospital.