MOSCOW, August 23 (Itar-Tass) — The all Russia Sambo Federation said Rasul Mirzayev has been disqualified after the incident in which he delivered a fatal blow to a student.
“Athlete Rasul Mirzayev has been disqualified by decision of the all-Russia Sambo Federation and withdrawn from training for the world combat sambo championship in Vilnius on November 10-14,” the Federation said.
Earlier on Tuesday, prosecutors challenged the decision by Moscow’s Zamoskvoretsky court to release athlete Rasul Mirzayev on a 5-million-ruble bail, the court’s press secretary Yevgeniya Pazukhina told Itar-Tass.
“A petition came from the prosecutor’s office; it will be forwarded to the Moscow City Court for review. The prosecutors ask to overturn the Zamoskvoretsky court’s ruling and re-consider the case,” Pazukhina said.
Mirzayev is suspected of delivering a death blow to 19-year-old student Ivan Agafonov.
According to the spokeswoman, the prosecutor’s appeal will be reviewed at 14:00, Moscow time, on Tuesday.
The judge who granted bail to Mirzayev said the latter had confessed to delivering the blow and came to the investigator, i.e. he did not attempt to escape. The judge also pointed out that the investigator had no evidence yet that it was the blow that caused the student’s death.
The incident occurred in Brodnikov Pereulok in central Moscow on August 13. Agafonov was rushed to hospital and died several days later without regaining consciousness. The investigators learned from media reports that Mirzayev was the attacker.