Seven geese saved the lives of their owners sleeping in the house next to the barn that caught on fire in the early hours on Monday morning, but died in their efforts.
The local Emergencies Ministry in Abakan said the barn caught on fire due to faulty electrical equipment that was placed inside.
At nearly 5:00 a.m. on Monday, the geese began honking loudly and beating themselves against the wall of the barn, which woke up the owners sleeping right next to the barn in their house. Upon seeing the fire, the owners called the fire department.
As soon as the fire brigade reached the burning structure, the roof collapsed, killing the geese. The ministry said other animals in the barn were spared, however did not give specifics as to what those animals were.