Rescuers in Japan pulled two survivors, an 80-year-old women and a 16-year-old boy, from underneath the rubble in the town of Ishinomaki in the Miyagi prefecture on Sunday, nine days after a devastating earthquake and ensuing tsunami hit the country’s northeast, Japanese media reported.
The 16-year-old boy, who is believed to be the grandson of the woman, told the police that they had been stranded at the house since the quake hit the area on March 11.
The confirmed death toll from last week’s 9.0-magnitude earthquake and tsunami in northeastern Japan has risen to 8,133, police told Kyodo news agency on Sunday.
As many as 12,272 people remain missing. About 360,000 people have been evacuated from the disaster area and accommodated at temporary shelters in the country’s 14 prefectures, the agency reported.
MOSCOW, March 20 (RIA Novosti)