ST. PETERSBURG, January 18 (R-Sport/RIA Novosti) – Russia’s football manager Fabio Capello is in no hurry to sign a new contract to stay on after this year’s World Cup, his son and agent Pierfilippo Capello told R-Sport on Saturday.
Russia have qualified for their first World Cup in 12 years under Capello and the country’s football bosses are keen to secure the 67-year-old Italian’s services until 2018, when Russia will host the World Cup.
Despite repeated assurances from Russian Sport Minister Vitaly Mutko that a deal is almost done, contract talks have dragged on since October amid reports linking Capello with a return to club management,
“It’s not an urgent issue, to sign this contract,” Pier Filippo Capello said. “Neither Fabio nor the Russian side is hurrying.”
He added: “We’re working on details, features, technical issues, which are typical for contracts like this.”
Last month, Capello was linked with a coaching job at London-based club Tottenham Hotspur, but the Italian has insisted he was never involved in such talks.
Capello has shown interest in coaching Russia’s national side through 2018. He said earlier this month that the tournament in 2018 would be “the real thing” and Brazil 2014 was just a “rehearsal” by comparison.