Russia Today: (Link)
Mass riots that started in the center of Moscow on Saturday must be blamed on corrupt police rather than nationalist sentiment in society, Russian observers and experts agreed.
A gathering of thousands of football fans to mourn their comrade killed in a street fight with men from the Northern Caucasus, ended in riots and racist attacks on Saturday. However, police, politicians and observers alike say the riots showed society’s anger over police corruption rather then general xenophobia.
Windows to Russia!
- Those behind violence in Moscow will be dealt with – Medvedev (rt.com)
- Football fans rally over supporter shooting (rt.com)
- Russian fans in clash with police (bbc.co.uk)
- Russian Protests Erupt Over Soccer Fan’s Killing (nytimes.com)
- You: Injuries, arrests as fans clash with police in Moscow (earthtimes.org)
- Russian football fans clash with police over death of supporter (rt.com)
- Protests Tinged With Ethnic Tensions Erupt in Moscow Over Soccer Fan’s Killing (nytimes.com)
- You: Russian football fans run riot (nation.com.pk)
- Football fans, troops clash in Moscow (reuters.com)
- Fans disrupt Moscow over killing (bbc.co.uk)
Tags: corrupt police, football fans, Medvedev, police corruption, racist attacks