MOSCOW, December 23 (RIA Novosti) – Five people, including two children died in a fire that broke out in a residential house in Tambov in central Russia, the local police reported on Sunday.
The fire erupted on Saturday in a one-storey wooden house. Electrical short circuit was the likely cause of the blaze, the police said.
The firefighters spent over four hours in extinguishing the fire.
“During the rubble clearance, the rescuers found the bodies of three adults and two children aged ten and three,” the police said.
Russia has an extremely poor fire safety record. Around 15,000 people die in fires across the country annually. In the United States, with more than twice the population, the figure is around 3,400 deaths a year.