Former Bosnian Serb army chief Ratko Mladic who is facing war crimes charges in The Hague, has been transferred from a prison hospital to a cell, his lawyer Milos Saljic said on Sunday.
Mladic, 68, was arrested in Serbia on May 26 after 16 years on the run. He was later extradited to The Hague to face trial in the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY).
Mladic and his family have complained about his poor health but a court doctor in Belgrade concluded his condition allowed him to travel to The Hague where he was put to a prison hospital.
Saljic said his client’s condition remained the same. He previously said Mladic was so sick he may not live to see the start of his trial.
The former general will be tried on charges of committing war crimes and genocide during the 1992-95 Bosnian War. He is believed to have ordered a massacre of 8,000 Bosnian Muslims at Srebrenica in 1995, Europe’s worst single atrocity since World War II.
SARAYEVO, June 5 (RIA Novosti)