MOSCOW, August 9 (Itar-Tass) — Retired Main Intelligence Department Colonel Vladimir Kvachkov, accused of attempted armed mutiny, has been found fully sane, his lawyer Alexei Pershin told Itar-Tass on Tuesday.
“According to the results of the psychological/psychiatric expert examination, conducted at the Serbsky state research center for social and forensic psychiatry, Kvachkov was found fully sane,” Pershin said.
The lawyer declined to give more details, citing his written pledge not to divulge sensitive information.
“At present, my client is kept at the Lefortovo remand prison; the investigation against him continues,” he added.
It was a second psychiatric check of Kvachkov. A similar examination was carried out within the framework of the case over the attack on former chief of the RAO UES electric utility Anatoly Chubais.
Earlier, Kvachkov stated that he was fully “adequate,” and that nobody had ever doubted his mental state.
The deadline for the investigation into his case was pushed to November 21.
Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) said retired Colonel of Main Intelligence Department Vladimir Kvachkov was a suspect under two articles of the Criminal Code: Article 279 and Article 30, Part 1 (attempted organization of armed mutiny) and Article 205, Part 1 (recruiting or involving persons in terrorism).
Kvachkov said he had been arrested on the testimony of a regional leader of the Narodnoye Opolcheniye (Militia) organization he leads.
The chief of Narodnoye Opolcheniye’s Togliatti office was arrested in the summer of 2010.
After ten days in custody he testified against Kvachkov.
“According to the testimony, there was a person in Togliatti, who sent two groups of people, armed with crossbows, to a forest to begin an armed uprising,” Kvachkov said.
He said he was confident that the detainees’ statements were distorted, in order to cast Narodnoye Opolcheniye and another organization – Minin and Pozharsky’s Militia – as terrorist groups. “There are no facts in the case,” the retired Colonel said.
Kvachkov was the key suspect in the case over the assassination attempt on the life of chief of RAO UES electric utility Chubais on March 17, 2005.
A jury found all the defendants in the assassination attempt case not guilty, in a marathon eight-hour session overnight to August 21, 2010.