Serbia’s war crimes court will consider former Bosnian Serb Army chief Ratko Mladic’s appeal against his transfer to The Hague to face charges of genocide, his lawyer said on Tuesday.
His lawyer also said Mladic is so sick he may not live to see the start of his trial at the UN war crimes tribunal. A Belgrade court earlier ruled Gen. Mladic fit enough to travel to the UN court.
Speaking to reporters in Belgrade, Gen. Mladic’s lawyer, Milos Saljic, said earlier this month he would request another independent medical examination of the 69-year-old alleged war criminal, who was arrested last week after 16 years on the run.
Before of the extradition Mladic was allowed to visit the grave of his daughter who is reported to have committed suicide during the Bosnia war of the 1990s. However, Mladic believes she was killed.
“We didn’t announce his visit to the grave because it is his private thing and because it represented a security risk,” Serbia’s deputy war crimes prosecutor, Bruno Vekaric said. “The operation lasted for 20 minutes and passed without a glitch.”
Gen. Mladic is accused of committing war crimes during the Bosnian War, including the 1995 massacre of some 8,000 Muslim men and boys in the Bosnian town of Srebrenica.
BELGRADE, May 31 (RIA Novosti)