Japanese authorities have blocked several speedways towards tsunami and tremor-hit regions to give a green light for rescue vehicles, RIA Novosti correspondent reported on Sunday.
Japan’s northeastern Fukushima prefecture, one of the most seriously affected by the 9.0-magnitude quake and tsunami, suffers a shortage of petrol with lines of cars, waiting near the fuel stations.
The rescue vehicles with the Defense Forces’ personnel rush to the affected areas to provide people with the aid, RIA Novosti correspondent said.
Natori, a town in Miyagi prefecture, still suffers a massive power outage, resembling an abandoned area with lights coming from several single buildings.
There is no drinking water and food in the town, a 60 year old local taxi-driver, Saito told RIA Novosti.
He said the tsunami had devastated the eastern part of the town. “It was a tsunami wave, not the quake that swept away the buildings from the coastal line.”
“When the earthquake started, I was in my car. I thought I would die,” Saito said.
On March 11, known as Black Friday, Japan was stricken by the strongest earthquake in 78 years. It triggered a 10-meter tsunami wave that swept away people, houses and cars.
According to the latest information by Japan’s NHK TV channel, the death toll from the disaster has reached over 1,400 people.
Earlier on Sunday Miyagi prefecture police chief, Naoto Takeuchi, said the number of victims may climb over 10,000 people.
NATORI (Japan), March 13 (RIA Novosti)