PYATIGORSK, July 24 (Itar-Tass) —— The terror rate in the North Caucasus has declined by approximately a third but militants are still planning high-profile crimes, Interior Minister Rashid Nurgaliyev told police chiefs of the North Caucasian Federal District on Sunday.
“Joint efforts of the Interior Ministry, the Federal Security Service, the National Counter Terrorism Committee and the Federal Operative Staff cut the terror rate in the district by almost 36% in the first half of this year, as compared with the first six months of last year,” he said.
“However, the potential terror threat remains high. The situation is complicated in Dagestan and Kabardino-Balkaria. The militant leaders are planning high-profile crimes, in particular, outside of the North Caucasian Federal District. Terror attacks continue at policemen, local officials, public figures and clerics who actively resist terrorism and extremism,” the minister said.