by Daniel Wagner and Diana Stellman
President Obama’s decision to revisit George Bush’s defense architecture early on in his presidency has been influenced by a number of underlying issues. The President believed it was important to meet the evolving threat of Iran, North Korea, and other rogue states with adequate defense capabilities, but he had to take into consideration spending realities resulting from the financial crisis while seeking to preserve the international non-proliferation regime and maintain strategic stability. While wanting to emphasize the shared transatlantic security burden in Europe, President Obama also wanted to reset relations with Russia, which had cooled considerably during the Bush years.
If the Obama Administration succeeds in communicating convincingly the non-offensive motives behind the expansion of its missile defense architecture, joint efforts with Russia in missile defense, disarmament and non-proliferation could succeed.
Read more on http://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com/
Russian News From Russia!
- NATO and the future of missile defense in Europe – Blog – Russian … (russianforces.org)
- Japan a Leader in Missile Defense, US Closest Missile Defense Partner (newsblaze.com)
- Russia You Goofed Up… (windowstorussia.com)
- US analyst: “the discussion over missile defense is a proxy … (acus.org)
- “Time for NATO to Get in the Missile Defense Business” and related posts (heritage.org)
- Turkey to Host U.S. Missile Defense (prnewswire.com)
- Why Obama Will Continue Star Wars (time.com)
- Russia-NATO relationship is one-way traffic (rt.com)
- Russia Considering Proposal to Join Missile Shield (abcnews.go.com)
- Russia to Attend NATO Summit for Missile Defense Shield (topnewspress.com)
- Russia: USA Has Crossed The Red Line Already! (windowstorussia.com)
- Russian News: July 11th, 2008! (windowstorussia.com)
- Russian Tunnel: What A Great Idea! (windowstorussia.com)
- France Will Sell Mistral with All Technology… (windowstorussia.com)
- Windows to Russia: Talks About Iran Today! (windowstorussia.com)
- From Russia: Western and Eastern Media – The Opposites of the Stories! (windowstorussia.com)
- Are Russia and USA the same!! (windowstorussia.com)
- China not Russia the Evil Demon Empire of Destruction… (windowstorussia.com)
- Russia Says Victor Bout is not a Criminal… (windowstorussia.com)