Two people suspected of involvement in a 2010 terrorist attack on a power plant in southern Russia will go on trial, a spokesman for the Russian Investigative Committee said on Wednesday.
A group of gunmen burst into the Baksan Hydropower Plant in the republic of Kabardino-Balkaria on July 21 last year, shooting dead two security guards. They then detonated five improvised explosive devices at the plant.
Several days later two militants involved in the attack were killed in a special police operation. Last October police detained Timur Shibzukhov, 24, and Magomed Shogenov, 26, who confessed to also being involved in the attack.
“A criminal case in regard to Shogenov and Shibzukhov, including the indictment list, was sent to the Supreme Court of Kabardino-Balkaria,” committee spokesman Vladimir Markin said.
He did not say when the trial would start.
The blasts at the Baksan Hydropower Plant put out of order three power units leaving without electricity the republican cities of Baksan, Nalchik and Tyrnyauz. Damages were estimated at over $23 million.