Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University is a new generation university, committed to offering accessible higher education in a dynamic environment of excellence and innovation. We are committed to the growth and development of our people as the key to our continued excellence and quality. Applications are invited for the following post(s):
9234: Chief Executive Officer – South African International Maritime Institute (SAIMI)
Number of positions: 01
Peromnes grade: 4
Note that this is a professional position.
SAIMI was established in November 2014 at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University as South Africa’s first dedicated national Maritime Institute to promote rapid and effective maritime education, training and research in support of the Blue Economy strategy, named Operation Phakisa.
This role requires a visionary and driven, seasoned executive with an understanding of the ocean economy, and expertise to build SAIMI into the premier maritime training and research institute on the African Continent, providing strategic leadership to the SAIMI and its role in South Africa, the wider continent and overseas.
Key performance areas:
Reporting to the Vice-Chancellor of NMMU, the Chief Executive Officer will:
- Lead the organisational establishment of SAIMI and integrate it into national and international training and research systems;
- Provide strategic direction and leadership to SAIMI;
- Ensure effective formulation and implementation of strategic goals for the organisation and its contribution to the maritime sector;
- Develop and implement a sustainable strategy for SAIMI;
- Promote SAIMI’s aims and objectives and recruit a top-notch support team;
- Develop SAIMI into the leading maritime institute on the African continent;
- Ensure all necessary business systems and processes are put in place to support SAIMI’s work;
- Ensure effective stakeholder management and support the SAIMI governing board;
- Ensure the development of strategic partnerships to facilitate greenfield maritime opportunities;
- Develop strong management structures that ensure effective oversight, control, collaboration and accountability;
- Ensure the stability, pursuit of transformational objectives and growth of the organisation;
- Ensure that the organisation fulfills its mandate, within the terms of the agreed strategy;
- Capacitate the organisation to maintain and improve on current performance and service delivery; and
- Develop the credibility and role of the organisation as a contributor to the socio-economic development of the country.
The successful candidate will provide strategic leadership and management in respect of:
- Planning, budgeting, resource mobilisation and management reporting;
- Governance, ethics and values;
- Change management;
- Legislation and policy development and implementation;
- Effective supply chain management;
- Managing all the operations of the Institute; and
- Stakeholder engagement.
- Candidates must possess an appropriate master’s degree or preferably, a PhD;
- Marine/maritime industry education and training sector experience will be an advantage;
- Significant senior strategic and operational leadership and management experience;
- A strong appreciation of South African’s public policy landscape/ environment;
- A solid understanding of the Higher Education legislative framework;
- A solid track record in engaging diverse sectors and multiple stakeholders;
- Strong public and private sector networking and fundraising skills;
- Experience in driving game-changing innovations in training and research;
- A good understanding of, and professional exposure to, the maritime industry and its human resources development needs; and
- Excellent inter-personal, communication and leadership skills with a results-driven record
- High level of integrity, initiative and passion;
- Balancing individual leadership with good team work;
- An individual with stature, presence and excellent emotional intelligence
All shortlisted candidates may be required to undergo psychometric assessments. Furthermore, it is expected that all short-listed candidates will:
- Give express permission to undergo verifications of qualifications, publications, credit records and criminal records as well as any other verification deemed appropriate by the university
- Deliver a 15 minute presentation, the topic of which will be communicated timeously
- Provide details of at least two individuals who are capable of providing professional references.
Applications must be accompanied by a recent and comprehensive Curriculum Vitae, an NMMU application form as well as a covering letter stating how applicants satisfy the requirements in respect of each of the Key Performance Areas and Core Competencies.
The official NMMU job application form, can be downloaded below under “How to apply”. All applications must be electronically submitted to Faeeza.Grimsel@nmmu.ac.za.
Direct all telephonic enquiries to Laura Best at (041) 504 3320 or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a renewable five year fixed-term contract, based on performance and operational requirements.
The successful candidate will be employed by NMMU and located in Summerstrand, Port Elizabeth, and will be expected to travel locally and internationally.
Closing date for applications:
11 August 2015 17:00
How to Apply:
- Download the application form.
Send your Covering Letter, C.V. and Application Form to:
Tel: 041 504 3555
The Human Resources Directorate
PO Box 77000
Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
Port Elizabeth, 6031
Physical address: Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
Summerstrand Campus North
NMMU reserves the right not to make an appointment.
In considering candidates for appointment into advertised posts, preference will be accorded to persons from a designated group in accordance with the approved NMMU Employment Equity Plan.