A dar after the US embassy in South Africa issued a “terrorist threat” warning to US interests in the African nation, the State Security Minister David Mahlobo has denied any imminent danger according to Pretoria’s own threat analyses.
He, however, clarified that the Ministry has acted upon the information provided by the US, which he said was not “new”.
“In terms of our own threat analysis, we had to do a threat analysis, who is the source and what is happening, and came to the conclusion that there is no immediate danger,” Mahlobo told a South African radio station.
“This is not a new information, the information has been shared over the past few days, the information has been acted upon,” he noted.
The US embassy in South Africa issued a warning on Tuesday saying it had received intelligence reports that American citizens could be the targets of a terrorist attack.
Although the embassy acknowledged on its website that it has not received specific information on the exact targets or timing of any attack, it did ask US citizens to remain “vigilant”.
“Extremists may be targeting US interests in South Africa, to possibly include US Government facilities and other facilities identifiable with US business interests,” the embassy website alert said.
Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Clayson Monyela told The BRICS Post earlier on Tuesday that Pretoria “doesn’t react to travel advisories”.
The BRICS Post with inputs from Agencies